Take any fuel and in any state-whether it’s solid, liquid, or gas, there are specific properties that need to be taken care of. The best fuel management system will always take care of the right components at the right places. It will follow a set of rules and guidelines. One must always take care of the use of fuels in any system to prevent hazards. A fuel tank vent is an important component of any fuel and engine system. Let us understand the uses of a fuel tank vent.
1. The basics: Knowing the basics will help understand the next set of pointers easily. Any vent whether it’s for a fuel tank vent or otherwise, is meant to cool off the existing pressure buildup. A vent is a small opening that lets the steam or gas pass through. So a fuel tank vent in the simplest words is a vent that helps release the built-up pressure.
2. To avoid vacuum: Any system with smoother flow can be disturbed due to vacuum. In a fuel tank vacuum can develop as a result of the exchange of fuel. Air is necessary when the fuel is taken from the fuel is either consumed or dispensed. The presence of a vacuum isn’t suitable for the flow of fuel and the working of the engine. It can pop the system and cause damage. The tank can degrade and the entire system won’t function properly.
3. To avoid damage: In case a fuel tank is not properly vented, there can be disasters. There is a serious risk of explosion if the fuel tank isn’t vented properly. While operating nobody wants to risk an explosion. There could be a fire explosion or tank degradation. The fuel tank’s vent, hence, needs proper functioning to avoid damage to the man and the machine.
4. Preventing fuel leaks or spillover: The key function of a fuel tank vent is to have some gap for airflow is also helpful doubly. The gap prevents spillover or leaks of fuel. So the gap is absolutely necessary.
5. Add a layer of safety: Fuel tank vents add that extra layer of safety to the fuel tank system. Though there are other checks and processes available. But a vent can prevent explosion, ruptures, contamination through filtered vents, spillovers, popping of the tank, etc. They ensure the least risks with the variation of temperature, pressure, and surroundings.
A fuel tank is one of the crucial components of the best fuel management system. Venting the tank is helpful in so many ways as mentioned above. Like every machine, the knowledge of these tiny parts is crucial for overall operational efficiency and preventing any hazard. At Bahrain Gas, our products undergo numerous checks to deliver the right and safe products. Our long list of clients is a testament to our quality and checks. Visit our website and consult our experts, today!